Welcome to the Washington Flyers Club web-page, if you are interested, there are applications here on line and the minutes so if you are new or a member that missed the meeting, you can catch up on the business at hand.
As President, our goal of the Flyers Club is to promote Youth and Aviation, along with being a social club for the members, so our plans and events focus around that.
We have invited the Civil Air Patrol to use our building to hold their meetings and since then most of their officers have joined our club. We share common interests and they have volunteered to help us with our events and we with theirs. This has been a great working relationship.
Fall - Winter 2016 projects that were accomplished.
Our goal was to clean up and repair the building. With the help of the CAP we were able to paint the outside of the building and repair the Washington Flyers club Sign. The window frames were rotting and were replaced with composite wood and the trim was painted. Through donations from our members and business, we purchased 5 new picnic tables for our outside events. They were also painted with a wood preserver. The last project was to shampoo the carpeting, but that project will have to wait until Spring of 2017.
Spring and Summer of 2017
A MEMBERSHIP Drive is in effect; in order to have a prosperous future we need more members to staff the committees and projects in the works.
1) Continuing the building maintenance by shampooing the carpeting. Next is to address the roof with some missing shingles and clean and pressure wash to it. That should take care of the building for a while.
2) Plans are moving forward on acquiring a non-profit status with the IRS, our paper work has been filed as of Sept24, 2016. There was a problem with the EIN number and a new one was acquired in November and the application was re-applied. We applied under Recreational, Sports, Leisure; non profit Charitable organization. Our Mission statement is as follows: To establish an organization of aviation enthusiasts to stimulate a general interest in aviation, to promote the advancement of aviation safety through seminars, workshops and support of its members, to educate the general public in the history of aviation, to stimulate an interest in general or private aviation through Washington County, to support youth organizations, like the local Civil Air Patrol, and to provide a club for the social enjoyment of it's members.
3) Discussions with the Berlin C-54 have been in the works for an event around September. More to come. This will give us some time to get some sponsors and prepare for a nice event for the county, and the local Schools. We hope to have a candy drop for the children to.
4) Jeff Paige, Vice President, who flies for UPS, says there will be a shortage of Pilots in the near future. There are companies looking for pilots who have there instrument and commercial ratings, willing to complete the training as a transport pilot, and the company will pick up all the costs as long as they agree to work for that company when completed. More information and details will be posted on our site when we get it.
5) The Washington's Flyers Club would like to see a Flight School at Washington Airport and promote general aviation for our county. So we are looking for more energetic aviation enthusiasts to join our ranks.
Every Wednesday at 6pm is the CAP meeting.
Hope to see you at the meetings,